for Halloween in the Hammock at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca Raton.
During Halloween, we throw many of our rules out the window, according to officials at the Boca Raton Police Department. Kids dress in crazy, sometimes inappropriate, costumes. They take candy from strangers. They are even allowed to ring the doorbells of strangers’ homes.
Boca Raton’s men and women in blue want to remind parents and kids that while fun, Halloween can be dangerous. Here are four tips for kids and four tips for parents:
• Wear costumes with reflective fabric or carry flashlights or glow sticks.
• Don’t eat any candy or treat that is open or unwrapped or that looks homemade.
• Trick-or-treat in groups and stay with them. Walk on sidewalks.
• Go only to houses where the outside lights are on.
• Accompany your children.
• Make sure your child can see well out of any mask. If not, use makeup or face paint instead.
• Inspect treats before letting your child eat anything.
• Try to get the littlest children out and back home before dark.