Here are 10 holiday safety tips from the Boca Raton Police Department:
1. Minimize the amount of cash and the number of debit or credit cards you carry.
2. Keep gift cards close and secure. They are easily redeemable and difficult to recover once they are stolen.
3. If you are shopping with small children, have a plan in place if you are separated. Teach them to get help from a store clerk or a police officer.
4. Stay alert and avoid talking on your cell phone while walking through parking lots.
5. Do not overload yourself with packages and do not leave your purchases unattended, not even for a moment.
6. Do not make multiple trips out to your car while shopping; purchases can be easily stolen from a locked trunk.
7. Go immediately home after large purchases, such as televisions, computers, and jewelry. Criminals have been known to follow their victims to another destination and break into their car.
8. When shopping online, ensure your computer is equipped with updated security software, you are shopping on secured websites and you are only using reputable company sites.
9. After the holidays, do not advertise gifts. Destroy the boxes and place them in an opaque bag or trash can.
10. If you see something suspicious, call the police immediately.
Crime and Safety Tips are provided by members of the Boca Raton Police Services Department’s Crime Prevention Unit. For information, see www.BocaPolice.com or call 347-3938.