At 6 p.m. on Feb. 3, the Ocean Ridge Town Commission will vote on final adoption of an ordinance severely limiting waterless lawns, an ordinance that will significantly impact the private property rights of every Ocean Ridge landowner. Please come and participate in the discussion: It affects you. 
If Ocean Ridge property owners want to preserve their property rights, Feb. 3 will be the time to come and speak!
— Peter Hoe Burling,
Ocean Ridge

You need to be a member of The Coastal Star to add comments!

Join The Coastal Star

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I’m sorry. I didn’t realize the definition of personal freedom was whatever you agree with
  • I understand how you feel.  I’m sure that others in your position have felt the same way, however, if you fully consider the situation, I’m sure you will find that the majority of the people in town do not want to see plastic grass all day.   Sometimes it’s best to respect the feelings of all of your neighbors.  They too worked all their lives to be able to afford to live in OR.   I understand that you think your opinion is the only one that matters.  A lot of people feel that way.  But you might take just a minute to think about how others feel and what they want.  I doubt you’ll get to that point, but you should try.  There is no way your neighbors could ever deserve that kind of consideration from you.   Straight ahead!  You’ll dominate. 

• You’re actually contradicting yourself because my personal freedom is to put in whatever lawn I think personally looks best. Growing grass on the ocean is nearly impossible and while I may not like some of the things that you do to your property it’s not my right to tell you what you can do. I’m fairly confident in my taste!
  • I’m being misunderstood.  I am 110% for personal freedom.  What I am against is tacky plastic grass and bad taste.  I understand how you feel.  Please just admit it’s not aesthetically pleasing.  Hope this helps. 

• While you may not like the look of turf, and may ignore the environmental benefits over standard, ugly Augustinia, thats the entire point.  Everyone has a different opinion and thats why we have property rights when we pay money to own something.  You don't decide what my landscape should look like and I won't try to do that for you either.

Hobart Gapp said:

I’m for personal freedom as much as the next guy, but let’s not use that as an excuse to cover the town in fake plastic grass.  The color is not natural and it looks goofy.  What’s next?  Plastic palm trees with little plastic coconuts?  Please don’t make us look at that stuff every day.  Please?

Letter to the Editor: Discuss turf before vote
    At 6 p.m. on Feb. 3, the Ocean Ridge Town Commission will vote on final adoption of an ordinance severely limiting waterless lawns, an ordinance that…
  • I’m for personal freedom as much as the next guy, but let’s not use that as an excuse to cover the town in fake plastic grass.  The color is not natural and it looks goofy.  What’s next?  Plastic palm trees with little plastic coconuts?  Please don’t make us look at that stuff every day.  Please?

• Exactly!

This reply was deleted.