Replies

• Thank you so much for the information. I will definetly look up your suggested reading and proceed from there.
  • There is generally no way to diagnose what is causing the seizures. If he was an older onset seizure dog, then a eeg and an mri would be indictated to look for tumors. This is from the conventional medical standpoint. From a homeopathic standpoint, the problem is at the level of his vital force or his innate self healing ability and that needs to be corrected for him to truly become healthy again. What I have seen in my homeopathic practice is that many dogs with "idiopathic epilepsy" had the first onset seizure shortly after a rabies vaccine. If this is the case, the can often respond beautifully to homeopathy.

Craniosacral therapy is also very helpful in these dogs to reduce seizure incidence as it helps the cerebrospinal fluid flow normally and reduces pressure and tension on the nervous system.

I have seen beef aggravate seizures. I do think if possible most dogs and cats do best with a raw food diet. I like the wellness products though if raw is not an option for you.

You might try reading "beyond flat earth medicine" it is a free read on line that explains homeopathic theory. If this sounds like something you would be interested in trying, we can do that.

Hope that helps alittle..

Dr. Marcia
  • Dr. Marcia, Hi I have a question for you also. I have a five year old mixed breed border collie. He began having seizures when he was two. After two seizures in two months we put him on phenobarb. That worked for the most part but over the years we had to keep increasing the amount to control the seizures. He was up to 64.8mg twice a day when his liver enzimes became elevated. We then tried potasium bromide, but that by itself still didn't work. He is now on a lower amount of both phenobarb and bromide and has been seizure free for over a month. I'm happy with that, and he seems to be too, but am still concerned about him taking so much medicine. My question is, is there any way to know what causes the seizures and treat that, instead of just treating the seizure. He eats Wellness brand dog food, and I try to give him only chicken based treats. Any info you could give me would be appreciated.
  • The best thing you can do for cats is limit vaccines and feed a diet as close to what they would eat in the wild. Raw food is best for cats. I do understand that many cats won't transition and that for feeding outdoor ferals, probably not the best choice. High quality grain free canned diets.. available at many holistic pet stores and at pet supplies plus stores. For more information on feeding cats, take a look at www.felinefutures.com. There is alot of very good information here regarding feline nutrition.

Dr. Marcia
  • Mary Kate Leming said:
    One other cat question: I have three neutered "feral" cats who live in my yard. They are about 8 years old. They were born in the yard and I've kept them even though they won't let me pet them. silly cats. Anyway, as they age is there a type of food I can feed that will ward off common problems? Trapping them for vet visits is extremely traumatic for these kitties... thanks.
  • One other cat question: I have three neutered "feral" cats who live in my yard. They are about 8 years old. They were born in the yard and I've kept them even though they won't let me pet them. silly cats. Anyway, as they age is there a type of food I can feed that will ward off common problems? Trapping them for vet visits is extremely traumatic for these kitties... thanks.
  • Where would I find those brands of food?
    And no, he hasn't needed subq fluids yet. He's not that dehydrated. I suspect we'll get to that, but it doesn't seem necessary at this time. And yes, I'd been reading that vaccines can cause kidney/liver problems. I'll probably have to fight with the vet about this, but I don't plan to have him vaccinated anymore. Thanks for the back-up on this!
  • Okay.. Friskies is probably not the best choice of food. I would try to change to a grain free holistic canned food such as weruva, wellness, or eagle pack. Feeding cats as close to what nature intended is one of the best ways to deal with GI problems in any animal.

These companies use human grade meat and no bi-product meaning it is just better nutrition. You can also add in some probiotics from the healthfood store and digestive enzymes.

Are you giving subq fluids at home?

Also, this cat should not recieve any more vaccines.

Dr. Marcia
  • Commercial brand wet food. Mainly Friskies seafood blends, but I try to mix it up with some other brands from time-to-time. He loves seafood. And yes, his stools seem to be normal again. When he does seem to be having problems I put a little laxatone in his food and that seems to move things along. Most of his vomit is watery food. He seems to be feeling much better today: running laps around the house.... ;-)
  • Wet is good much better than dry food for cats. NO CAT should be eating dry food. Which canned diet are you feeding? It does make a difference. Is he having normal stools? what is he vomiting. food or just phlegm?
This reply was deleted.