1,000 reasons to help your friends

This is a tough time to ask for a year-end donation for any worthy organization, but 1000 Friends of Florida is in the field from Tallahassee to the Florida Keys making a significant difference for Florida’s future. It is no secret that Gov. Charlie Crist looks with great favor at the organization — board and staff — as one of the most important “think tanks” that works with him, his senior staff and the brilliant director of the Department of Community Affairs. We have never had similar relationships built on trust and keen thinking about Florida’s future. I have never known Florida’s economy to have fallen so rapidly. The combination of five hurricanes, the collapse of the second-home market and major real estate developments is astonishing. Driving around the state, I have witnessed the folly of low-interest loans to both individuals and developers. There are thousands of uncompleted developments that are rotting. God knows who holds the loan papers. The Florida Legislature, urged on by the developers, is going to be sorely temped to open the spigots and go for any changes in the state’s comprehensive planning effort. We could lose the key ingredients of the acts that consecutive governors championed and a cadre of committed Floridians worked to pass and implement — years of hard work. You have given me 48 years of your trust and support. Believe me when I state categorically, 1000 Friends could not have been conceived and maintained without the consistent support of residents on the barrier islands. I ask the most difficult: Will you make a year end donation to keep Friends alive and well? Your donation will make a difference. Nathaniel P. Reed Jupiter Island Nathaniel P. Reed is founder and chairman emeritus of 1000 Friends of Florida. For more information, or to send membership/contributions, write to: 1000 Friends of Florida P.O. Box 5948 Tallahassee, FL 32314-5948 Online at www.1000friendsofflorida.org

You need to be a member of The Coastal Star to add comments!

Join The Coastal Star

Email me when people reply –